Tuesday 23 March 2010

Jaipuri Vegetables-Sabzi Jaipuri

Wow...is what I said when I made this. I had noted this recipe down from somewhere on the "net" a long time ago....long before the days of the food blogs. I decided to try it, and I am so glad I did. Even though this sounds like a "Vegetable Korma", the fresh taste of the spices and masalas make it worthwhile! This has fennel and nutmeg which is just divine and goes so well with the other dry spices.
The recipe is simple, just grind the spices, do the tadka and add the boiled veggies...and presto, you have a fragrant,delicious curry. well, you know what I mean!  :)
I made this just as is and served it with whole wheat bhaturas.

Here is the recipe, and I apologize, I do not know the source. Try it and you'll be glad you did!

Jaipuri Sabzi: 

Veggies:
1-cup green peas,
1-cup chopped potatoes,
1-cup chopped carrot, you can add any other veggies you like, you can also add tofu or paneer like I did. I also added bell peppers, zucchini and some crookneck squash.

Boil all together for 3 minutes, or you can steam them.Steaming is a better choice in this case.

Fresh Paste:
2-tbsp grated coconut,
1-cup chopped onion,
1-cup chopped tomato,
1-long piece ginger, Cilantro
5-6 pieces garlic.
Mix and grind into paste.

Ingredients for dry masala:
5-pieces cinnamon,
4-pieces cloves, 1 tsp-fennel, 1/2 tsp- nutmeg
6-pieces black pepper corns,
1-tbsp coriander seeds,
1-tbsp cumin seeds and poppy seeds
Mix and grind into dry powder.

Ingredients for curry:
2-tbsp chilli powder,
1-tbsp haldi (turmeric) powder,
1-tbsp sugar (optional),
2-tbsp oil,
1\2-lemon juice (optional), I used unsalted tomato paste.
Salt to taste,
Coriander leaves for garnish.

-Method:
Step 1: Heat the oil in tava and add the ground paste in it.
Step 2: Then add the dry masala powder and heat for 2-minutes.
Step 3: If you want red color then add chopped beetroot in it. (I left it out)
Step 4: Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, and sugar.
Step 5: After that add boiled vegetables and heat for 2-3 minutes.
Step 6: Mix well and turn off the flame.
Step 7: Decorated with coriander leaves and tomato. Garnish with cilantro.

Hint: Add a splash of cream, evaporated milk or plain milk for a slightly richer taste!

Serve hot.
Hope all is well with you all! I'll be back soon. :)

Comments OFF. Please email me for any specific questions on this or any other recipe in this site. Thanks.

Join the Facebook Fan Page for 'The Spice Who Loved Me' and interact with me on FB!

Search this Blog: